Ayurveda and menstrual care
Information on how to take care of your hair, how to take care of your teeth, or how to mainatain body is found everywhere. Along with them, it is also necessary that someone teaches us on how to take care of ourselves during menstrual cycle.
Ayurveda gives ample knowledge on how to do this. Here menstrual flow is considered the by product of the first dhatu (tissue) in our body, that is the rasa dhatu – the plasma tissue.
Ayurveda consider menstrual cycle as a monthly cleanser for all women. So this is the time a woman needs care and rest which rejuvenates her completely.
Often a women experiences irregularities or disturbances in the cycle. She may experience the following difficulties.
- Excess and heavy bleeding
- Periods are longer or shorter than normal 2-7 days/
- Bleeding occur outsides the correct 21-35 day cycle.
- Sometimes absence of bleeding.
- Stress, tension and anxiety
- Emotional disturbances
- Dietary habits – less nutritious food intake or excess junk food.
- Excess exercise
- Conditions like anemia, thyroid hormones imbalance.
- Sexual activity
- Alcohol and drugs
Sometimes girls soon after menarche will experience irregularities, this will get normal after some months and so treatment for this is usually not taken.
The following herbs are very useful to regularize the menstrual cycle.
- Ashoka – Uterine tonic, regularizes heavy bleeding and pain.
- Kumari (Aloe vera), it is cool and cleanses the blood, plasma and urine.
- Shatawari – Maintains health of female reproductive and urinary tract.
- Manjishta – Blood purifier, reduces pitta, removes congestion & stagnation in reproductive tract.
- Ashwagandha – Great tonic for the nerves.
- Triphala – Removes toxic substance from body. Also a rejuvenator.
- Tulasi – nourishes the rasadhatu.
Ayurvedic medicine to regularize the menstrual cycle
- Raja pravarthini vati
- Kanchanara guggulu
- Chandraprabha guggulu
Guidelines to follow during menstrual cycle
- Eat good and nutritious diet – avoid spicy food.
- Take rest and avoid exertion – like excess talking, exercising, sexual activity – since all these take in a lot of energy.
- Meditate – This will ease the emotional status.
- Drink sufficient liquids usually warm tea, ginger tea or lemon tea.
Yogic asanas beneficial to regulate cycle
- Bhujangasana (cobra posture)
- Arda chakrasana (Half wheel posture)