Women are the most who are prone to urinary tract infection. It does not mean that men do not suffer from UTI. They are less affected. The bacteria of UTI passes from bowel to urethra (urethra ie. The passage through which urine is eliminated.) In females this urethra is smaller than in males and closes to anus, so allows more chances of bacteria to travel faster and then easily causes infection.
Urinary tract infection is still more common in sexually active females, since partner play a role in the movement of germs inside the urinary tract. So it is more often called as honeymoon cystitis.
Symptoms of UTI include –
- Burning sensation while urinating. Dysuria (pain & difficulty during michuraton)
- Bad odour of urine
- Urge to urinate – but urine is not passed completely.
- Pain over pubic region
- Abdominal pain and low back ache
- Sometimes blood passes with urine
- Pain during intercourse.
How to prevent UTI
- Drink plenty of water, especially hot water. An individual should drink at least 8 glasses of water minimum daily. Water dissolves the urine and flushes the bacteria out of the bladder.
Ayurveda says coconut water is vasti – shodana (meaning a bladder cleanser) so it is the best juice to reduce UTI.
- Avoid alcohol, spicy food, chillies and caffeinated drinks.
- When feeling to michurate go to bathroom as soon as possible and empty the bladder completely. Wash well after passing urine. Do not allow bacterial growth to start because of carelessness.
- Use only cotton undergarments. Cotton helps air flow, so less bacterial growth. Do not wear tight jeans, pants or undergarments.
- Avoid strong soap, feminine beauty products that irritate the urethra.
- Take vitamin C in the form of juices.
- Do exercise often. Exercises and body movements boosts immunity so less prone to infection.
Herbs used for UTI relief
- Shilajathu – This relieves burning sensation and dysuria (pain during michuration)
- Gokshura – Promotes free flow of urine. Removes any obstruction in the urinary tract. Good for the membranes of the urinary tract organs.
- Punarnava – Strengthens the urinary tract. It has the ability to eliminate the fluid out of the body.
- Guduchi – This strengthens the urinary system, increases the resistance of the urinary system organ to fight against UTI. Also soothen the urinary tract membranes.
Ayurveda co-relates UTI with ‘mutrakrichra’ – meaning difficulty in passing urine. This is caused due to the imbalance of the mutravaha strotas ( channels carrying urine)
Treatment in Ayurveda includes the following medicine
- Brihatyadi kashayam
- Veeratharadi kashayam
- Gokshuradi guggulu
- Chandraprabha vati.