Psoriasis is also a non-contagious common skin condition that causes rapid somatic cell reproduction leading to red, dry patches of thickened skin. Psoriasis commonly affects on elbows, knees, and scalp. Once thought to be a disease of the skin , psoriasis is now understood to be a condition originating within the system . Psoriasis is seen worldwide, altogether races, and both sexes. Although psoriasis are often seen in people of any age, from babies to seniors, commonly patients are first diagnosed in their early adult years. Patients with more severe psoriasis may have social embarrassment, job stress, emotional distress, and other personal issues due to the looks of their skin.
Psoriasis can be caused by a range of reasons. Heredity may be crucial. If one parent is affected, then there’s 15% of chances for the kid to suffer from psoriasis. If both the oldsters are affected then the likelihood of kid getting the psoriasis is 60%. Consumption of opposite foods (eg. fish and milk together, fish and curd etc.), trauma on skin like cuts, bruises or burns, some medicines or skin irritants, excessive smoking, alcohol consumption and mental stress or psychological trauma also can be liable for causing it. Psoriasis occurs more in dry skin than oily or well-moisturized skin. Excessive alcohol consumption, obesity, lack of or overexposure to sunlight, stress, cold climate, physical illness, streptococcal or HIV infection, superficial wounds, or taking certain drugs like lithium, beta-blockers like propranolol, anti-malarial medications and generally poor health leads to flaring from psoriasis.
Different types of psoriasis exhibit different characteristics which can change over time. One form may change to a special , or several forms may exist at the same time.
• Plaque psoriasis: this is often often the foremost common kind of psoriasis. it’s characterized by raised, red lesions covered with silvery white scales.
• Guttate psoriasis: it’s characterized by numerous small red dots of psoriasis. The lesions may have some scaling. These numerous spots of psoriasis appear over large areas of the body, just like the trunk, limbs, and scalp.
• Inverse psoriasis: Usually found within the folds of the skin within the armpits, groin, under an overweight stomach or under the breasts. It appears as smooth, red lesions without scaling and will cause irritation because of rubbing and sweating.
• Pustular psoriasis: it’s characterized by blisters full of pus on the skin. The blisters aren’t infectious. It could even be found on the hands and feet or could also be spread everywhere . The skin around the pustules looks red and tender.
• Psoriatic arthritis: About 10% to 30% of the patients with psoriasis may develop a sort of arthritis called rheumatoid arthritis . this might cause redness and swelling, totally on the hands, feet, knees, hips, elbows and spine. it’s going to cause stiffness, pain and joint damage.
• Nail psoriasis: produces a selection of changes within the looks of finger and toe nails like discolouring under the nail plate, pitting of the nails, lines going across the nails, thickening of the skin under the nail, and thus the loosening and crumbling of the nail.
• Erythrodermic psoriasis: involves the widespread inflammation and exfoliation of the heal most of the body surface. it’s going to be amid severe itching, swelling and pain.
• Loose silvery scales
• Itching or burning skin
• Raised pus-filled skin bumps
• Skin redness around pustules
• Restricted joint motion
• Emotional distress
• Skin pain and inflammation
• Skin blisters
• Dry skin patches
• Bleeding skin patches
According to Ayurveda, Psoriasis appears because of imbalance of two doshas – Vata and Kapha . Vata and Kapha doshas manifest within the skin and cause accumulation of poisons . These toxins assemble in deep tissues like rasa (nutrient plasma), rakta (blood), mansa (muscles), and lasika (lymphatic). These toxins cause contamination of deeper tissues, resulting in Psoriasis. The Vata predominance causes pain, dryness and scaling of skin. Pitha vitiation results in burning sensation, redness, inflammation etc which of kapha causes rashes, itching, discharge, thickening of skin etc. From these signs and symptoms, the doshic involvement is analyzed carefully in each patient, which is of utmost importance within the management of this disease.
The vitiated doshas affect the skin and blood tissues and also influence water element on the affected region on skin. Thus due to the influence of vitiated doshas the skin becomes discolored (white or copper colored), scaly and thin.
Purification of blood and tissues is that the first aim of Ayurvedic treatment in cases of Psoriasis. Toxins are cleansed from the body and thus the digestion restored to prevent further accumulation. Nourishing herbs are then administered to strengthen and tone the tissues to plug complete healing of the skin.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
• Avoid consuming opposite foods.
• don’t control natural urges like vomiting, urination, bowels, etc.
• don’t take cold water bath immediately after a crucial workout, traveling, an extended walk, etc.
• lookout to not consume foods which cause indigestion.
• Absolutely don’t eat an excessive amount of of salty, sour or acidic foods.
• Avoid sleeping in afternoons.
• Avoid radish, sesame, jaggery (gur), curds, fish and other sour foods.
Our treatment primarily focuses on blood purification and balancing the vitiated Doshas. Treatment of Psoriasis comprises of:
• Detoxification treatments (Shodhana chikitsa): done through Panchakarma therapies like Vamana, Virechana, Rakta mokshna etc & an exclusive therapy called Thakra dhara.
• Palliative treatments (Shamana chikitsa): through administration of internal medication and external applications
•Rejuvenation therapy (Rasayana chikitsa): through kayakalpa
• Very strict Diet regime
• Lifestyle changes
• Stress management
Psoriasis is totally curable with none recurrence if the patient can implement all the instructions as advised and completely follows the diet regime & healthy lifestyle.