Plants are having a gift of their own. One such plant is Ashwagandha which has been used throught out all systems of medicine. Its uniqueness lies in its ability to calm down stress and fatigue and booster up energy and vitality, so called ‘modern problem’ that all of us are facing today.
Ashwandha is scientifically known as ‘Withania somnifera’. Somnifera means sleep inducing. Aswagandha is a Sanskrit word, split as ‘ashwa’ meaning ‘horse’ and ‘gandha’ meaning ‘smell’. Ashwagandha may have got its name because of thr aromative smell of its root which is described as the smell similar to that of horse.
Ashwangadha is widely used in traditional medicines especially Indian system of medicine. Also known to be used by African medicines.
The chemical constituents of Ashwagandha are unique. They contains alkalides, steroidal lactones, Tropine etc. which primarily acts in brain system, blood and bone system, and the immune system of the body.
Ashwagandha as a brain tonic
A perfect remedy for the improvement of brain functions is ashwagandha which helps in boostening up of our higher mental functions
- It improves the memory and thinking ability
- Used in Alzheimer’s, since excellent in restoring memory.
- Helps in insomnia – helps to fall asleep by its relaxing and sedative quality.
- Boosters the intellectual power.
- Helps in curing nerve disorders like hemiplegia, parkinsonism etc.
Effects in blood and bone system
- Protection of heart and controls blood pressure.
- Application on skin for treating ulcer, wounds etc.
- Cures anemia
- Decreases swelling and pain
- Acts a anti inflammatory thus treating rheumatism
Effect in Digestive system
- Helps cures stomach and intestinal ulcers
- Maintains bowel movements thus curing constipation.
- Regulates and controls the digestive organs especially the liver.
Effect in immune system
- Acts as a tonic to booster energy and vitality.
- Increases strength and power
- Boosten the immune system
- Helps to reduce stress
Effect on Sexual organs
- Very effective in fertility treatment of both men and women.
- Helps to control and regulate sexual functions
- Increase sexual desire
- Used in mental discomforts – like in painful periods, menstrual difficulties.
- Helps in impotency, premature ejaculation and increasing sperm count.
Acts as an Anti-aging medicine
- Acts as an anti-oxidant thus maintaining beauty and youngness.
- Increases energy and vitality
- Reduce chronic fatigue and tiredness.
Acts as a mental tonic
- Can calm depression, anxiety, stress and other nervous attacks.
- Helps to cope with day to day stress of working men and women.
- Helps in promoting sleep, thus calming the mind.