There is an old saying which says – “there is no decoction (kashayam) without ginger”. This is so true, ginger is more than a spice. It has evolved with Ayurveda thousands of years ago. It plays a positive role in any system of the body, proving it to be a treasure of goodness. No wonder Ayurveda gives it a high status and calls it a medicine chest .
Ginger is used in two forms – fresh and dry form. Its scientific name is zingiber officinale and is known as Sringivera in Ayurveda.
Ayurveda says that one should eat fresh ginger before meals since it enhances digestion and bowel movements.
- Relief to respiratory system
- Ginger helps cure bronchitis, asthma, common cold and flu. Prevents the coming of any respiratory diseases by adding it to tea while making it. It acts as a preventive medicine, especially helpful when used during climatic change.
- Good for digestive system
- It is a stimulative and a carminative. It helps in promoting hunger by increasing digestive power, promotes assimilation, promotes good bowel movements, and transportation of nutrients to tissues.
- It eliminates of intestinal gas and reduces constipation. Good for dyspepsia and colic.
- Also used in case of food poisoning.
- For motion sickness
- Prevents motion sickness symptoms especially sea sickness which involves nausea, vomiting, fainting and fatigue.
- For morning sickness
- Proved to have anti-vomiting action during pregnancy. Anti vomiting drugs cause birth defects but ginger is safe and only required in small doses to reduce nausea and vomiting during pregnancy.
- For pain and inflammation
- It is a natural pain killer. Used in RA and osteoarthritis. Regular intake has given good result for pain and inflammation. Ginger is an essential substance in some oils used for pain relief of muscles and joints.
- In blood circulation
- Ginger contains chromium, magnesium, zinc which cleanses the blood and improve the blood flow. Detoxifies the blood too.
- It is a natural medicine to relieve heart burn.
- As an immunity booster.
- Acts as a tonic. It has a good supplement of vitamins. Prevents frequent cold and cough. Fights throat irritation and flu. Reduces the bacterial growth in stomach. Reduces gas in stomach and bloating of stomach.
- It protects liver and also reduce level of bad cholesterol.
- As an aphrodisiac
- Plays the role of an aphrodisiac for both men and women. Improves energy and enthusiasm. Gives strength and vitality. Ginger can increase sperm count too.
- Acts as an anti cancerous drug
- Ginger shows anti cancerous properties towards ovarian cancer and colon cancer.
- Studies have shown that it can cause the death of ovarian cancer cells.
- In the case colon cancer – it slows the growth rate of colon and rectal cancer on cells.
- It also prevent the developing tumors also.