Diabetes can be described as a group of metabolic disease in which there are high blood sugar levels over a prolonged period. Diabetes occurs due to either the pancreas not producing enough insulin or due to body’s inability to respond to insulin, which eventually leads to abnormal metabolism of carbohydrates leading to high blood sugar levels.
There are three main types
- Type 1 DM- The conditioning which the body (pancreas) fail to produce enough insulin. This was also referred as (IDDM) insulin dependent diabetes mellitus .
- Type 2 DM the condition in which body (cells) fails to respond to insulin properly. As the disease progresses lack of insulin may also develop. It begins with insulin resistance .
- Gestational Diabetes –the third main form of diabetes , it occurs when pregnant woman without previous history of diabetes develop high blood sugar level .
The common symptoms which can be seen in diabetes are frequent urination ,increased hunger, fatigue, weight gain , unusual weight loss , numbness and tingling in hands and feet.
Acute complications can include diabetic keto acidosis, heart diseases , stroke , chronic kidney failure, foot ulcers.
Diabetes in Ayurveda is explained as the Prameha Roga. According to Ayurveda Prameha is described as metabolic disorder in which doshas (vata, pitta, kapha) are vitiated due to our food and lifestyle disorder, which in turn vitiate the dhatus (tissues) like meda(fat), mamsa (muscle), majja (marrow) etc. these vitiated doshas and dhatus reach the urinary system and vitiate it leading to different types of Prameha.
Asya sukham( excessive consumption of food especially, the meat of domesticated /aquatic animals, curd, milk, newly harvested grains, jaggery/ sweets. Foods and drinks that increases the kapha dosha. Swapna sukham (over indulgence in sleep), living a sedentary life, laziness.
Types of Prameha
According to ayurveda prameha is classified in many categories based on the following factors.
I. Based upon cause.
- Sahaja prameha (By birth or congenital)
- Kulaja prameha (Heriditary)
- Apathyaja prameha (Acquired)
II. Based on body type (Prakrithi)
- Sthoola pramehi (Obese patient)
- Krisha prameshi (lean patient)
III. Based on Urinary symptoms
- Kaphaja prameha (10 sub types)
- Pithaja prameha (6 subtypes)
- Vataja prameha (4 subtypes)
Ayurvedic treatment for diabetes
According to ayurveda the line of treatment of prameha strictly depends on the following factors.
- The prakrithi of the patient
- Dosha predominance of disease
- Dooshya vishesham
- Obstruction in srotas
- Manasika prakrithi
- Ahara and vihara
- Hereditary factors
In ayurveda the first line of treatment for all the disease is ‘Nidana parivarjanam chikithsa’ which means that elimination of the causative factors is the one main step in treating a disease. Then based on the above mention factors the further line of treatment like purificatory therapies (Panchakarma therapies) and rejuvenating therapies are adopted.
Ayurvedic medicines for diabetes
There are wide range of classical and patent ayurvedic medicines for diabetes. Many single herbs, herbal combinations and herbo mineral combinations are there which are very effective in controlling, curing and maintaining the sugar levels. Single herbs like Haridra (turmeric), Amlaki (Indian Goosberry), Guduchi (giloy), Nimba (Neem), Jambu (Black plum) etc. are very effective.
Classical preparation like Chandraprabha vati, Nishamalaka choornam, Nishakathakadi Kashayam etc. are also very effective in treating diabetes.
Home remedies for diabetes
There are several home remedies that can be taken for lowering the blood sugar levels. Daily use of these home remedies can even prevent from getting diabetes if you are prone to. Not only as a treatment for diabetes these also can help in maintaining the balance of doshas.
- Intake of 10 ml of amla juice with 10 ml of honey in the morning and evening.
- Intake of a glass of bitter guard juice mixed with amla juice added with half teaspoon of turmeric powder daily morning on empty stomach.
- Dried and powdered seeds of jamun (Black Plum) to be taken in a dose of one teaspoon twice daily with warm water.
- 1 spoon of amla powder added with half teaspoon of turmeric powder taken twice daily before food.
- Ladies finger cut and soaked in water over night and drinking in the morning empty stomach is very effective.
Ways to reduce Insulin Resistance
Consumption of fish oil which is rich in Omega 3 fatty acids helps to improve insulin sensitivity and also to reduce body fat.
Intake of the diet containing high fiber, whole grains, leafy green and fresh vegetables, fresh fruits and legumes help to balance insulin.
Intake of 10 gm guiloy powder with honey helps to reduce insulin resistance.
Diet for diabetes management
Diet management is the key factor which is very important for complete cure of diabetes. Healthy diet plays a vital role in management of diabetes.
- First most important point for a diabetic patient is never skip meals – take proper meals on time.
- Control the diet, eat 1/4 th less than your normal quantity.
- Fruits including goo berry, Black plum and apples, vegetables like spinach, carrot, bitter guards, squashes, banana stem can be taken.
- Avoid underground vegetables like potato, sweet potato, tapioca etc.
- Avoid more of fried and grilled foods, non vegetarian foods.
Life style modifications for diabetes management
Diabetes is one of the disease which is also caused by lifestyle disorders. Some lifestyle changes can bring a great difference in the ife of diabetic patients.
- Avoid day sleep completely
- Walk 2 kilometers daily
- walk on green grass bare foot
- Do regular exercises, yoga and walking which reduces kapha and meda.
- Avoid of all kinds of junk foods, processed foods and canned foods.
- Yoga postures like soorya namaskara, Dhanurasana, Bhujangasana, Paschimothanasana are very helpful in stimulating pancreas.
- Daily practice of nadisodhana pranayama itself can help a lot.
Apthasree ayurvedic hospital and kit for diabetes
We at apthasree feel that the basic cause for all the diseases is physical and mental imbalance which is caused by our food and lifestyle.
Apthasree gives a complete package of ayurvedic medicines, panchakarma therapies, yoga and awareness about important lifestyles and foods for diabetes.
Apthasree gives a complete solution for prevention and cure of diabetes and its complications.